Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May Flowers

Welcome to May! May in Michigan is often more like "April Showers" than the May Flowers that follow, but yep, the tulips have bloomed, leaves are an inch long on the trees, and I love the smell of freshly cut grass as lawns are given their first real trim since last fall. The earth comes alive again after its dormant winter sleep. Living in a northern state, it's a time of renewal for us humans, too. We feel more alive, spend more time outdoors, and enjoy the abundance of color that's missing in the white, gray and pine green of winter. I wonder how unusual that must seem to those of you who have always lived in a warmer climate. :) 

When I decided to use flowers in my earrings for today's post I was surprised to find how many floral pieces I had. I've never considered myself flowery. :) But I had so many to pick from, and wish I'd had the time to share more than one with you. They are all so different, one from the other, and each one special in its own unique way.  

I chose the ceramic flowers made by Jana Bliznakova of Happy Fish Things because I was blown away by the fine detail, Jana's gorgeous color work, and the flower's beautiful center.
May Flowers - Ceramics by Jana Bliznakova

I paired them with two Czech glass beads, chosen specifically because Jana was born in and lives in the Czech Republic. One a deeper teal, the other a pale green. It's an interesting thing. . . I generally prefer a contrast of colors rather than "matching" the colors. Neither of the bead colors is actually in the ceramic flower, but they certainly appear to be now that they're all put together. 

The slim rice bead is Vintage Brass, blackened with JAX darkener solution. Although Liver of Sulfur jars state it works on brass, I have not been able to oxidize brass with success using LOS. If you haven't tried the JAX products, you might really like them. I use black, brown and green. 

To add a little horizontal interest, I used three elongated copper-plated links. The links are connected, and rather than put them onto the wire one on top of the other, "weaving" the wire through them creates an interesting effect.
May Flowers Earrings can be found Here

The earrings are colorful but not too bright, easy to wear, and have a nice swing. 

 Thanks for stopping by today! I hope your May is filled with wonderful color and all the inspiration you need! :) I'll be back May 17th. Look forward to seeing you then.




Thank you!
Norbel
p.s. If there is anything in particular you would like to see, something you would like to know more about, or just have an idea for a post you think would be fun, please send me a message through my Etsy Shop, SheFliesAgain and I'll respond as soon as I receive it. We sincerely appreciate your visits here. :) 

7 comments:

  1. Another great pair of earrings Norbel. Those flower charms are just gorgeous! I love Jana's work. And the not matching Czech beads are a perfect match :-) Never heard of JAX so I'm happy you mentioned this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine. Jana's work pulls me in every time. :) I can almost guarantee you will love the JAX products. The green (verdigris) is a little trickier to work with, but the others are simple and quite consistent. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. I loved this post, Norbel. I loved how you took us to your northern location and its finally-spring. I loved how you named your earrings. I loved the earrings. I loved how you told us how you made them and how you felt about them. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. They'd be so fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Spring, Norbel! 70s this weekend! Lovely earrings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoooray for spring!!!! Love Jana's flowers and you created beautiful earrings with them for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Norbel, I adore these, you did a fantastic job with this design, very unique lady!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete